Today we are sharing an interview with Blythe Baines: LA-based artist with a total of more than 800k total streams on Spotify. She released her debut EP with Priority Records earlier in 2018 and has just followed it up with single “Crystal Clear”. Her music has been featured on the websites for MTV Latin America, Asia, South Africa and France and has been played on various radio stations nationally and internationally.
1. First of all, tell us about how did you start your music career?
- I started out recording with rappers in the valley. At first it was just a hobby, but last year I decided to start putting out songs professionally rather than just doing the SoundCloud thing.
2. Who are your music inspirations?
- I love Radiohead, Tom Petty, and Bjork, but I really admire artists like Lana Del Rey and Marina and the Diamonds in the sense that they create their own universe with their music. They're sort of able to bring listeners into an alternate universe, which is what I want to do.
3. Our readers would like to know more about your music. Any interesting facts?
- On my EP, I've got a song called "Buy Me Roses". There's a line in saying "Fly me to Chicago, and take me to that place that you know. With just some sleight of hand, you'll be my man, you'll be my baby". This line is actually literally about soup. I have a friend who told me about a restaurant in Chicago where you can pay the waiter extra money to do a card trick where the card ends up at the bottom of your soup. Thus the "sleight of hand".
4. What opinions have you received about your music?
- People have been really nice. I get a lot of messages from people saying that they really like my stuff and also a lot of messages from people letting me know that they are listening to my music while they're high on weed and that it's "trippy".
5. What do you like to do more: songwriting or performing?
- I'm very comfortable in songwriting. For me, that's where most of the creativity is. If I could just write all day every day, I would. I feel like there's so much I want to say with my music. I've gotten a bit esoteric with some of my newer stuff.
6. Which countries do you want to visit with tour?
- I'd go anywhere, but I'd love to perform in France and England one day.
7. How do you deal with haters?
- I just send them heart emojis and say "luv u 2 bby".
8. What would you tell to your fans?
- Just "thank you" to everyone who's streamed or bought my stuff and shown their friends and liked and playlisted my songs on Spotify and Apple Music. I really appreciate the supporters the fans who message me on social media and keep up with my stuff. I realize that time is valuable and finite, so I genuinely am grateful for the people who choose to spend their time listening to my music.