Today we are sharing an iterview with Chad Rico: budding hip hop artist with a curriculum vitae of epic proportions. His new single release, "New Level," on his label Gold & Gems, is not just a repetitive song refrain but a bold declaration from a music artist who is also a college math professor, entrepreneurial clothing manufacturer/designer, filmmaker and world traveler.
1. First of all, tell us about how did you start your music career?
- Well, listening to music is my all-time favorite thing to do! I also enjoy writing; I've been writing since elementary school. In middle school I started creating beats and I would make a song here and there. But with education being such a focus in my household, music didn't become a priority until I was older. I literally have yearly 'to do' list; and, for the last decade making an EP/mixtape was on there. So all those things, my love for music, writing, making beats, songs, and my 'to do' list all led up to the "The Myth" Ep which is available now on all streaming platforms.
2. Who are your music inspirations?
- I have an assortment of inspiration as far as hip hop - Snoop, Tupac, Nas, and LL Cool J to name a few. In other genres, artist such as Bob Marley, Elton John, Parliament P-Funk and Mr. Vegas.
3. Our readers would like to know more about your music. Any interesting facts?
- I like to tell stories in my music. I use it as an opportunity to share and re-live real life experiences.
4. What opinions have you received about your music?
- I have received a lot of positive feedback about my music. I know my music is unique; I do understand it doesn't fit a particular mold and that it is something new for people to get used to.
5. What do you like to do more: songwriting or performing?
- Songwriting. Performing is a lot of work and then comes the fun. It reminds me of playing sports, you practice and practice for that big moment and then comes the big show, the performance! Although I really enjoy performing and engaging audiences, writing music has been a way for me to express myself. I feel a certain release when I songwrite.
6. Which countries do you want to visit with your tour?
- I want my tour to include countries I have spent time in - like a reintroduction - United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, France, United States, and Senegal to name a few. 7. How do you deal with haters?
- I really try not to give them energy. I learned early, attention, whether positive or negative, can fuel haters but silence tends to drown them out.
8. What would you tell to your fans?
- Join me on this journey of life through music. I am committed to continuing the honest documentation of life through song. The ups and the downs, the gains and the losses, the joys and the pains serve as the base for my lyrics. So, listen in and travel the world with me as we embrace and enjoy the journey of life through music together.
Check out his music: http://www.chadrico.com