Today we are sharing an interview with Jennifer Juan: writer, musician, producer, film maker and podcast host, currently residing in the Kent countryside.
1. First of all, tell us about how did you start your music career? — I did a lot of performing when I was younger, but then I really fell in love with writing, and that became my main focus. I began creating music again, in 2016, as part of my recently released cross media project Drowning In Us, which combined music, written text and film to bring together a romance story. I wrote a few songs, both lyrical and instrumental pieces, for the soundtrack, and it really inspired me to delve back into music again. 2. Who are your music inspirations? — I've always been very inspired by The Beach Boys. They have spent decades making music in so many different styles, and I've always found that to be something to aspire to.
3. Our readers would like to know more about your music. Any interesting facts?
— I create a lot of my music digitally, because I studied a lot of digital based music when I was at school and I always found it fascinating, so it's how I decided to experiment and create. I like to use different types of musical technology, and different kinds of sounds. I try and make each of my songs sound different to each other, with the root sound and instrumental being inspired by the lyrics and the emotion of the song. This helps me to keep changing and learning as a musician.
4. What opinions have you received about your music?
— It's all been very positive, which is nice to hear. When I create a project, it's really just because it sounded cool in my head, or something, so it's nice when people enjoy what I do as well. One of my recent songs Hard Drive was probably the one I've had the most feedback on. I got a lot of messages about how people really liked the strong narrative that came out from the lyrics, and the instrumental, so that was really good to hear.
5. What do you like to do more: songwriting or performing?
— I prefer writing and creating things, because it allows me to express myself and have an outlet.
6. Which countries do you want to visit with tour? — I'd really like to go back to Spain. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I'd like to perform in Brazil and Peru one day too.
7. How do you deal with haters? — I just focus on my work, and creating new projects. Nobody can expect to be everyone's favourite person, and that is fine. As long as there are some people who enjoy what I do, I would rather focus my time and attention on them.
8. What would you tell to your fans? — I just want to thank everyone who supports me, and takes an interest in what I do, because it means so much to me. I'm really just a girl who likes creating things and sharing them with others, so it means a lot to me that others are interested. You can check out my new single The Boy On The Island, which will be available on all major digital music markets on Friday September 14th , worldwide. I really hope you enjoy it!