Today we are sharing an interview with Josh Mannis: producer, singer/songwriter, and college student. He captures the essence of college life, turnsit into beats and instrumentals, and produces his friends on those beats. Mannis is a lifelong musician, and in his early adult years has dedicated himself to helping talented individuals like himself find success.
1. First of all, tell us about how did you start your music career?
- If you ask any of my childhood friends, they'll tell you Drake and Josh was my absolute favorite TV show growing up. Drake played the teenage rockstar, someone who became a huge influence on my life. I knew that someday I wanted to be in the same position, so on my fifth birthday my parents bought me a guitar. I'm 20 now and I haven't looked back since - I practice and make music every day of my life. In addition to producing music for up-and-coming rappers, I'm also the lead singer and rhythm guitar player for a band called The Upside Down.
2. Who are your music inspirations?
- A lot of my original music (of all genres) is influenced by the sweet melodies of John Mayer's guitar. Whether I'm writing acoustic indie music or hard trap beats, I always include some sort of catchy lead in the instrumental.
3. Our readers would like to know more about your new song Runnin’. Any interesting facts?
- I've been working with up-and-coming rapper APOLLO for my latest project. APOLLO comes straight out of today's pop culture in his musical tastes, beginning his rap career in his bedroom in the fraternity house. Runnin' incorporates a rhythmic, dreamy guitar lead on top of a hard-hitting trap beat. APOLLO and I wanted to make an anthem for today's young music lovers, and that's what we believe we did with Runnin'.
4. What opinions have you recieved about your music?
- Feedback from my peers has shaped my music over the years in the best way possible. I've been producing hip-hop beats for about two years now, and there was definitely a learning curve as I transitioned away from my roots. However, it's because of this feedback that I'm so confident in my music these days. I want to make music that young adults like myself relate to and can feel on a deeper level.
5. What do you like to do more: songwriting or performing?
- There's absolutely nothing like the rush I get when performing for a 1000+ person crowd. The Upside Down attracts a pretty heavy following to our shows and that feeling is like no other. My professional goal is to allow other musicians the opportunity to feel that same excitement, and I know APOLLO will be there before we know it.
6. How do you deal with haters?
- If people really don't like my music that's totally cool with me. Everyone has different musical tastes, and I'm happy as long as my emotions are conveyed on a well-produced song. Follow Josh Mannis: http://instagram.com/joshmannis http://twitter.com/joshmannismusic https://soundcloud.com/jmannis Check out APOLLO's song Runnin':