Today we are sharing an interview with Najee Janey, whose love for music was birthed during his adolescence while watching his father play a diverse range of music like: Zouk, Jazz, Funk, and LatinX. The singer, songwriter, rapper, and poet from Roxbury, MAis just beginning to find himself musically and is pushing his craft to new heights.
1. What inspired you to become a musician? - My very first performance after my parents got a divorce, was the main reason why I chose the path of music. Prior to the show I hadn't seen them in the same room together for years so the fact that my music could bring them into the same room again, inspired me to never give up on the dream. Over time I just got more competitive with myself, and I fell in love with the process of musicianship.
2. Our readers would like to know more about your new release. Any interesting facts?
- Every song on the project is unmixed and I used the original reference of the recordings to be the final versions. I felt like the rawness captured exactly what I was trying to convey to the listener. Eery song off the project is about 2 years old, so the main fact is.....there's more to come. 3. What feedback did you receive about your new music?
- A lot of people told me they enjoyed listening to the flow of the one track ep because it was something they hadn't seen or heard done properly. Majority of the people that listened said " Uhreeverderchee," is their favorite record. I haven't heard too many people complain about the quality or about it not being mixed.
4. Do you apply your personal life experience while making music?
- I apply personal life experiences to every song I write. Even it's the smallest incident or detail. It makes for more feeling behind records sometimes, and it allows me to bring the listener in to the point where they can visualize everything I'm saying. I like to talk about things that are real to me, things that have happened to me, good or bad. That way people can learn from my mistakes and hopefully inspire the next person as well.
5. What singers or bands influenced you the most?
- I love Earth Wind and Fire, James Brown, Prince, Donnie Hathaway, The Gap Band, Ice Cube, D Angelo, 50 cent, Ab-soul, Kendrick Lamar, Anderson Paak
6. Do you have favorite places to make music?
- Favorite place to make music is at my producers crib in his attic, or at my house. Nowadays just give me any room or environment with some sunlight coming through and I'll be totally fine with creating.
7. Will you go on Tour with your new release?
- That's the goal!! As soon as things start opening up again from Covid, we back to our regular scheduled programming
8. What advice would you give to aspiring musicians?
- I would say to anybody aspiring to become a musician, work hard at what it is that your passionate about. Push yourself, challenge yourself, be honest with yourself, and be comfortable with being the student. There's always going to be new information to learn or someone new to learn from, so as long you humble yourself and listen, you could learn everything you need to know in order to embark on the journey of music.
Instagram / (https://www.instagram.com/najeejaney/) /
Soundcloud Link: https://soundcloud.com/najeejaney/asis-1-track-ep