Today we are sharing an interview with Ray William Roldan: Americana Roots Rock/Alt-Country singer-songwriter and recording artist living in Topanga.
1. First of all, tell us how you started your music career?
– Years ago, a friend of mine needed a lead singer in his band and asked if Ild be interested; I was so insecure at the time I would stand outside the studio doors with a mike and headphones and sing, Then I realized that I could come up with lyrics to melodyIdeas they had almost instantaneously. That was several hundred songs ago and now I'm releasing my 4th album.
2. Who are your musical inspirations?
– Presley, Cash, Young, Dylan, Earl, All the Hanks, All the Kings, Lucinda, Emmy Lou, Lennon, Petty, Townes, Guy and on and on.
3. Our readers would like to know more about your new release Falling Star. Any interesting facts?
– I wrote it up here in Topanga, Ca. where I've lived for the past 4 years. It came pretty easy and I wanted to keep it and the rest of the tunes on the album kind of stark and simple.
4. What opinions have you received about your music?
– I get a good deal of very favorable opinions from most folks and some say its not to their taste. Not everyone appreciates fried calamari. LOL! ( and just to be clear no marine life was harmed in the making of these songs.)
5. What do you like to do more: songwriting or performing?
– I most comfortable writing but I do love performing for folks who dig what I do.
6. Which countries do you want to visit on a tour?
– I get played In New Zealand and Australia a good deal so that a good start. Would love to tour through Asia and anywhere else my songs could be appreciated.
7. How do you deal with haters?
– I was born "Hater Blind", so I don't have to deal with that affliction much. (I can see everything but haters, and unicorns).
8. What would you tell to your fans?
– Don't forget how much the artists you like really need you! If you can't afford to buy their works, at least let them know your listening and you like what you hear. And send an artist your email as it will allow them to say hey!