Today we are sharing an interview with Zach Zamora: alternative singer/songwriter from Montgomery, AL now living in Seattle, WA. His sound is a combination of honest and unapologetic lyrics reminiscent of Elliott Smith and Julien Baker, the catchy anthemic melodies of mid-2000s emo, along with the atmospheric soundscapes of shoegaze and dream pop. He recently released debut single, “Past Tense” and is currently finishing up an upcoming EP.
1. First of all, tell us about how did you start your music career?
- I got started by going to local open mics. Going to these allowed me to work on what I needed to improve and discover my sound as a musician. Becoming a regular allowed me to meet my eventual band mates and become noticed in the music scene here.
2. Who are your music inspirations?
- AFI was the band that got me into music in the first place. Their music led me to bands like Silverstein, Hawthorne Heights, and other “scene kid” bands. I’m also heavily influenced by Elliott Smith. His ability to write intricate songs that sound simple still fascinates me.
3. Our readers would like to know more about your music. Any interesting facts?
- My most recent single took me about 30 mins to write and when I recorded the instrumentals with the band, we did it in one live take, no metronome.
4. What opinions have you recieved about your music?
- As of now, people have told me that music I write is refreshing. Which is always a goal of mine when creating something.
5. What do you like to do more: songwriting or performing?
- Performing. The feeling you get right before you go on stage is addicting and I can’t get enough of it. Songwriting is also fun to me, but not as much.
6. Which countries do you want to visit with tour?
- I don’t have a tour coming up, but if I were to tour, I’d love to visit England. I’ve been wanting to go there for years! It’ll happen one day though.
7. How do you deal with haters?
- Be happy. It’s the best revenge.
8. What would you tell to your fans?
- Thank you for the support and stay tuned for new music later this year!